Third declension Noun; Neuter
- that which holds;
- a hindrance, obstacle
- a bulwark, defence against
- a hold-fast, stay, bands, stays, props for the ships
The inflection forms above were generated by rules and some usages of them were not attested.
Due to a bug of system, some forms may display wrong accents.
- (Anonymous, Homeric Hymns, 4:8)
- (Apollodorus, Argonautica, book 4 4:12)
that which holds
- (which holds, fast)
- (anything which holds, bears)
- (a defence, bulwark, a shield)
- (a defence against, precaution)
- (a safeguard, defence, defence)
- (a thing held before one as a defence, a fence, screen)